Monday, August 20, 2012

do what needs to be done

A while has passed since I have posted here. I have been working on my thesis, and have had quite a few of these days: click me!

Such a long project, the culmination of so many years in school... the process of writing a PhD thesis is so daunting. I recently read Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project, and I found it really interesting. One concept particularly resonated with me : do what needs to be done.

I am a bit of a perfectionist - if I am going to garden then I want to learn all about plants and create a beautiful space that can provide lots of wonderful food. If I am going to straighten the closet, I like to take 3 hours to empty it and go through each item. Sometimes this is a useful trait - I know a lot about plants now and when I have just gone through my closet it is extremely organized! - but other times it can be paralyzing.

Writing can bring this out in me. I need to remember that perfect is often be the enemy of good, and a first draft can be edited. I am trying to write everyday, and letting some other things fall by the wayside - the garden is slowly becoming a jungle and my closet is a disaster - but I am doing what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment